January 02, 2012

Calzone



Again after a long break I am here again. I meant to update blogs during December, but I was just being too lazy. In fact I was very busy baking cookies and eating, so much that right now I don’t even want to look cookies. Well I had a very yummylicious Calzone yesterday somewhere in Atlanta; it was nice change in my mouth something different from the holiday food I had been eating. The taste of of Calzone lingered long enough, so much that on the way home in the evening I stopped by Wal-Mart to buy Ricotta cheese, mushroom and olives. Sounds Crazy!! Calzone is the brother of pizza, except every ingredient is shielded in the dough. It is very simple and easy to make. I made the homemade marinara sauce to go with it. Scrumptious could all I can say about the taste of calzone with homemade marinara sauce, it was delicious!





Yield : 7 people

Time: 3 hours for the dough, 40 minutes marinara sauce, 45 minutes calzone


Dough:

3 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup warm water

¼ cup cooking oil (olive oil)
¼ cup white wine

¼ spoon salt

Marinara sauce:

28 ounces crushed tomatoes
13 ounces tomato paste

½ cup chopped onions
½ cup white wine
 
1 teaspoon dry oregano

1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon oil


Fillings:
24 ounces ricotta cheese

4 cups mozzarella cheese
4 ounces chopped mushroom

½ cup chopped black olives
1 big chopped onion
 
1 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon pepper
1 tablespoon olive oil


Directions:
Preheat the oven at 450 degree.
In a bowl mix all the ingredients for the dough, cover it with a damp clothes and set it aside in a room temperature for 3 hours.
For marinara sauce, sauté the onions for four minutes in the sauce pan in medium heat. Add the crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, wine, salt and oregano to the sauce pan; simmer it for thirty minutes in low heat.
For the filling, sauté the onion with salt and pepper in sauce pans for four minutes.  Divide the dough in seven balls; roll each ball with the rolling pin. Fill each of them with filling ingredients in layer, brush the end of the dough with eggs, fold and shield it into moon shape. Bake it in a preheated oven for 30 minutes.  Serve it with marinara sauce.

No comments: